Re: [Nmh-workers] Does anyone remember how blind aliases used to work?

2007-04-10 08:39:44
Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org> wrote on Apr 10, 2007:

There is a sample line in the mh-alias man page which doesn't appear
to be supported anymore:

b-people: Blind List: bill, betty;

I just tested with 1.0.4, and it is working fine.  I'll test later
at home (newer version).

Doing "ali -list b-people" gives

Blind List: bill
betty;

That's what I get with 1.0.4 (I used a different aliases entry, but
got the equivalent result).

I don't understand what "whom" is attempting to do with the alias, and
haven't looked very closely yet.

Does anyone remember how this is supposed to work, if it ever did?
The current man page for mh-alias is self-contradictory in this
respect; the grammar gives no special status to a second ":" or
line-terminating ";".

The man page assumes familiarity with RFC822 groups lists.
The format for these is

        comment : address [, address]* ;

If you mail to "b-people", using your example, the "To:" is supposed
to be expanded to:

        To: Blind List:bill, betty;

Then "send" (or is it "post") will generate a recipient list of
"bill" and "betty", and remove everything between ":" and ";" on the
"To:" line.

 -NWR