Re: [Nmh-workers] Changing the return type of done()

2007-04-17 02:08:00
I'd also be in favour of putting this in h/prototypes.h:
 /* If this is GCC, we can specify some attributes to help the compiler
  * (a) generate better code and (b) avoid spurious warnings.
  * If this isn't GCC, the attributes are ignored.
  */
 #ifdef __GNUC__
 #define NORETURN __attribute__ ((__noreturn__))
 #define NOTUSED __attribute__ ((__unused__))
 #else
 #define NORETURN
 #define NOTUSED
 #endif

and then having the prototype for done() (and adios() too) look like
 void done (int) NORETURN;

I have no problems with this, but I'll let you do it. I've already
got all the changes I described in my working copy, and I'd prefer to
commit them with no further changes, if I'm committing them at all.

I'm tempted to suggest dumping the unreachable 'return 1;' lines too...

I don't want to do this. The "return 1;" lines serve as a reminder that
the code is awkward, and should be rewritten.

(Returning void also has the advantage that create_folder()'s second
argument can be given the right type.)

That's what put me on to this. :) It seems that done() is supposed
to be like exit(), which is why it should probably be superseded by
atexit() registration.

Cheers,

        - Joel