Re: [Nmh-workers] improving nmh's MIME support

2008-06-02 03:08:40
Valdis(_dot_)Kletnieks(_at_)vt(_dot_)edu wrote:
On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 10:34:14 BST,
pmaydell(_at_)chiark(_dot_)greenend(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk said:
This will allow 'repl' on a MIME message to drop you into an editor
with sensibly decoded text ready to edit.

Do you mean "replying to a single-body-part mail with MIME headers that
specify an C-T-E and 'Content-Type: charset='", and intentionally excluding
the whole *other* can-o-worms called "replying to a multipart that includes
possibly a text/plain and an application/msword" or similar?

The intention is that it should do some sensible thing: so for a mail
with a body part plus attachments it just gives you the body text;
for a multipart-alternative (text + HTML equivalent) you get the plain
text bit. If there's no plain text alternative I'm not sure what it'll
do; perhaps you get nothing.

Replying to a multipart in a sane manner is a bigger issue for me than
replying to a "foreign" charset....

I suspect that you could do the de-multiparting (and decoding quoted
printable) first -- the changes to format files etc would be very
similar, it's just that decode-body wouldn't touch the charset. But
I'd like to get the semantics of the charset stuff clear first so
we don't accidentally paint ourselves into a corner in implementing
the de-multiparting.

-- PMM