Re: [Nmh-workers] mh access via imap (and mhaildirsync 0.2)

2008-07-08 06:38:15
joel wrote:
I have some users who would like to be able to use a webmail client (e.g.,
SquirrelMail) when they can't log in to read their mail with nmh. Webmail
clients tend to use IMAP servers for storage. I don't know of any way to
configure nmh to use an IMAP server for storage (nor do I really want that),
nor do I know of any webmail clients which use MH directories for storage.

One way to solve this would be to have an IMAP server which uses the user's
Mail/ for storage. Has anyone here faced this problem before? Does such a
beast already exist?

chris garrigues posted his "mhaildirsync" script here some time
ago.  i've played with it a few times, but imap access has never
reached the level of "must have" for me, so i've never finished
implementing it in my mail flow.

essentially what mhaildirsync does is periodically (frequently)
sync a hard-linked tree between an mh datastore (the primary
store) to a Maildir store (which can be served by imap).

chris initially published version 0.1, but sent me a second
version privately when i expressed interest.  i'll attach that
version below, but chris may have a more recent version.

paul

chris' words: