[Nmh-workers] odd case-sensitivity in replcomps

2008-08-22 04:03:40
This is an oddity that came up on the comp.mail.mh newsgroup:

repl's '-nocc to' switch works by causing the {to} component to expand to
nothing when processing the replcomps file. However, it only seems to do
this for {to}, not for the otherwise identical {To}.

Generally header component names are case-insensitive, so it seems like
a bug to me. However, if we fix it then there will be no way to get at
the actual To header from the message being replied to if you use
'-nocc to', which seems like a bad idea.

(You might want it for things like:
From: Peter Maydell %(void{To})%<(match
something)<someth(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_)(_at_)example(_dot_)com>%|<pmayd(_dot_)(_dot_)(_dot_)(_at_)chiark(_dot_)greenend(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk>%>

where the From email is set based on what the To was.)

Not sure what to do about this -- the original implementation of
'-nocc to' seems to me like it was a bit misguided, but we can scarcely
change it now.

(Original usenet thread starts partway through this:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.mh/browse_thread/thread/1ac0de00bb1eb36d/86ffd9cfa49c85bc
)

-- PMM