Re: [Nmh-workers] Re: mh modifies headers? (was Re: Multiple Mailstore

2009-11-07 20:55:48

On Nov 6, 2009, at 2:37 AM, Marcin Cieslak wrote:
IMAP has a notion of message flags:

http://deflexion.com/2006/05/server-side-message-labels

One can set \Answered flag on the message via IMAP.
Mail clients may set their own flags, as there are some standardized.

UW imapd suite maintains flags by having an invisible message at the
beginning of the mbox folder. I think some IMAP servers maintain
"Status:" header in the message.

Way back when I still followed this stuff, in the earlyish days of IMAP, there
was talk of supporting MH-style annotations via IMAP, and message flags
were more or less the consensus spec answer, but many IMAP servers
did not handle arbitrary message flags, or handled them badly.  I recall
some talk of a capabilities exchange, but I don't remember what ever came out of that -- it's possible that all the important servers these days DTRT, but it's definitely something to investigate before putting serious effort into
client support.

*Chad