Re: [Nmh-workers] [patch] undo of install-mh (Debian bug #551704)

2010-11-05 16:34:31
[2010-11-05 20:46] Peter Maydell
<pmaydell(_at_)chiark(_dot_)greenend(_dot_)org(_dot_)uk>
markus schnalke wrote:
the attached patch tries to fix Debian bug #551704 [0].

[0] http://bugs.debian.org/551704

Knowing that a uninstall-mh command is surely impossible to create, I
extended the man page instead. I also fixed the CONTEXT section there.

Well, you could undo the effects:
 * if there's no profile file, we're not installed anyway
 * if there is, then it will tell us where the Mail
   directory is

That's the point I missed.

 * so rm -rf Mail (with a big fat warning!)
 * and delete the profile file

In fact (modulo the warning and checking we were installed in
the first place!) it's a shell one-liner:
   rm -rf "${MH:-~/.mh-profile}" "$(mhpath +)"

(The tilde does not get expanded this way.)

This assumes that $MH and $MHCONTEXT are still the same. Seems as if
we always need to assume this.

But yes, you are right that it's not as impossible as I thought. Also
I didn't realize that it is very clever to use nmh's own tools as
helpers.  *shame*

I'm not totally sure we want to provide an easy way for
the user to blow away their mail, though :-)

We should at least not remove any mail.

However, if you're going to document in the manpage
how to clean things up you should document the
correct way that doesn't rely on assumptions about
the directory name and so on.

Right.

A second try for removing only what install-mh(1) installs:

    ctx="${MHCONTEXT:-`mhparam context`}"
    case "$ctx" in
    *)    rm "`mhpath +`/$ctx" ;;
    esac
    rmdir "`mhpath +`"
    rm "$MH" || rm ~/.mh_profile

Or do you think we should only provide prose text?

meillo