Re: [Nmh-workers] Minor git nits, and autotools junk

2010-12-03 08:47:28
This brings up a question -- do we want to move to having
patches posted to the mailing list for review before they
are committed? That's what other git-using projects I deal
with do, and it's much easier to do that emailing with git...

Hm.  I guess I'm of two minds about this; I can see the value, but there's
also a bit of a question of the process here; if someone posts a patch,
what's the process for reviewing it?

I guess I'd like to play it by ear; I mean, we don't have a lot of
committers putting wacky crap in there right now.  Okay, sure, I
committed the TLS support recently and that broke a few things, but I
fixed them; seems that most developers take responsibility for fixing
stuff they break.  If it's something more complicated, well, we could
always have people put stuff on a branch and ask people to look at it.
And I'd rather keep the barrier for people who are actually writing code
rather low.  What do others think?

 Anyway, I guess my point here is: I'm thinking of converting nmh over to
 Automake; I've started using it for a few projects here, and it just
 Makes Things Easier.

I'm not much of a fan of automake. I think our current
makefiles are fine, personally.

Hm, okay, given the above point ... would you object to a git branch
with the Makefiles converted over to automake?  Would you be willing to
take a look at it to see if you like it better or worse?  I just ran
into a whole pile of cruft when I was adding the TLS support, and I
think switching to Automake would make things a whole lot easier.  If
the consensus goes against Automake, I'm willing to let that branch
die.

No we don't, not if you mean GNU libtool. We check for and use
the MacOS libtool (which is a sort of ar+ranlib replacement, apparently)
and we carefully avoid running libtool if it's the GNU one. (Check
the ChangeLog.)

Whoops, you're right.  My apologies.

- Unrelated to that, I'm kinda getting tired of the damn warnings when I
 run autoreconf about acconfig.h; I'm thinking of putting the rest of
 the things in acconfig.h into autoconf via --enable switches; comments?

I think we should clean that up and get rid of the warnings, yes.

Alright, that I will work on.