Re: [Nmh-workers] indexing

2011-02-06 00:08:46
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 19:37:53 -0800
From: Jon Steinhart <jon(_at_)fourwinds(_dot_)com>

I'm not an expert on IMAP.  I don't use it and know very little about it.

at this point i don't think anybody does, not even mrc -- it's gone organic.

But not being completely afraid to make a fool out of myself I have
two thoughts:

 1.  I added code to nmh years ago that calls external hook programs when
     messages are inc'd, rmm'd, and refiled.  It does the right thing on
     sortm too.  Probably not completely bug free but has worked fine with
     an external program that I wrote that indexes mail and other stuff.
     Can whatever is needed be accomplished by calling external programs
     using this code?

yes!  i am using it.  i was *very* excited to find this when searching the
nmh sources.  i would have been excited to see grokmail, too, and i will be
when/if that gets finished.  but THANK YOU for putting in these hooks.  i
sent one patch to kenh concerning your work, because you failed to mention
*all* the places that your code does the RIGHT thing (+rcvstore and mhstore).

 2.  Can IMAP unique IDs and such be stored as X-Header stuff?

that's how imap does this with other mail stores like ucbmail format.  but
in those formats the act of moving or copying a message between folders
necessarily involves copying the header, so giving it a new unique per-folder
UID is no problem.  if we had to rewrite a message every time we moved it,
it wouldn't feel much like MH any more.  and "refile -link" could not work.

more important is performance.  i'd like to be able to know thousands of UIDs
in a folder without opening thousands of files to get them.  and, basically,
i want MH itself to go faster, and an opportunistic index that made "scan"
run at wire speed and made "pick" hundreds of times faster (for header terms;
i'm not talking about full body indexing) makes it worthwhile to build the
scaffold for this.