Re: [Nmh-workers] edginess

2011-12-26 15:38:54
On 12/26/2011 7:34 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

I understand what you're getting at, Paul, and I am in agreement.  But after
a 25 year friendship with MH, I just not in a tearing hurry to change
everything right this second.

lyndon, i have great respect for the MH code base, for its original
authors, for its current maintainers, for the people on this mailing
list, and for those who still use it (as i did until a few months ago)
as their primary MUA.

however, i disagree, respectfully but completely, with the above
characterization. if the posix branch work that was begun over one year
ago had been reviewed and merged and had become the basis of a 1.5 or
2.0 release by now, i'd be ready to say, ok, there's a good balance
between stability and forward motion, and the current way of approaching
this code base qualifies as good stewardship.

please take this in the spirit in which it's intended. i'm not in a
hurry and i don't want to change everything this second. but i don't
think we're doing ourselves or the remaining MH user base any favours by
worrying about platforms beyond a couple of linux and bsd and mac/os
releases. in fact i'd go further -- we're doing a disservice by being so
conservative about changes to this code base.

paul