[Nmh-workers] Holes (was: nmh in near, medium, and far-term)

2012-01-07 14:10:34
Paul Vixie <vixie(_at_)isc(_dot_)org> writes:

On 12/6/2011 8:43 PM, Ken Hornstein wrote:
It seems that IMAP has the concept of a "message sequence number",
which is a number from 1 to the number of messages in a folder; that
might be the right thing to use.

no. MH message numbers can have holes and can be reassigned. IMAP is
always 1..N, no holes.

You know, unless I'm missing something, the holes in our messages
numbers could be considered a bug. I find it annoying to have to use
"folder -pack" occasionally. If we kept our folders packed, then we
could get rid of the folder -pack option.

See my next message...

--
Bill Wohler <wohler(_at_)newt(_dot_)com> aka
<Bill(_dot_)Wohler(_at_)nasa(_dot_)gov>