Re: [Nmh-workers] Poor behavior of %(putaddr)

2012-01-14 20:50:10
mh-format says this:

      When a function or component escape is interpreted and the result
      will be immediately printed, an optional field width can be
      specified to print the field in exactly a given number of
      characters.

Note the text, "optional field width." Thus, I think that if num is
zero, %(putaddr) should emit its entire contents, subject to any line
length restrictions in play. I don't think it should be an error if the
field width is missing/0 as the documentation clearly states that it is
optional.

The thing is ... that paragraph is talking about the field width when put
into escapes.  Example: %4(size).  What %(putaddr) does is different;
it's using num to make line breaks.  Since this code has been broken
forever, it's always been wrong to put a 0 in there.  The documentation
for %(putaddr) doesn't say setting the width is optional.