Re: [Nmh-workers] Making --enable-pop the default (or manditory)

2012-01-30 23:05:13
Paul Vixie <vixie(_at_)isc(_dot_)org> writes:

On 1/27/2012 3:02 PM, Ken Hornstein wrote:
But then ... I am wondering if it should even be optional?  It would
reduce a number of ifdefs, make the build system simpler, and I'm having
a hard time trying to think of why you wouldn't want it compiled in even
if you never used it.

i love this idea. the only feature-level ifdef's we really need are the
ones that would change nmh's dependencies (like if some external library
like "libpop" were needed but only if you had the feature enabled.)

Agreed. These feature-level ifdefs might have been useful in a day where
adding 2 kB to a library was horrid. Not so much today. I also agree
with Paul that if it pulls in an additional external library, the ifdef
is still appropriate.

--
Bill Wohler <wohler(_at_)newt(_dot_)com> aka
<Bill(_dot_)Wohler(_at_)nasa(_dot_)gov>