Re: [Nmh-workers] 1.4 build failures on RHEL/CentOS 5

2012-02-05 09:29:38

Ken Hornstein writes:

That was fixed by installing ncurses-devel, but we should really be
checking for that at configure time. Also:

I think we do, right?  I mean, we check for tgetent in configure.
What did configure say when you ran it without ncurses-devel installed?

        checking for tgetent in -ltermcap... no
        checking for tgetent in -lcurses... no
        checking for tgetent in -lncurses... no
        checking if tgetent accepts NULL... no
        checking if tgetent returns 0 on success... no

But it doesn't actually complain. It still builds a makefile and lets
me think everything is OK.

You want to look at dtimep.c (the generated output from dtimep.lex).
And from the 1.4 tarball ... yes, it's in there.

I don't have one of those. From the savannah tarball:

                local@riva:~/nmh-1.4% find . -name 'dtimep*'  -print
                ./sbr/dtimep.lex

It looks like $(LEX) is not being set, so the makefile to build dtimep.c
isn't doing so. Ahhh, I see. I don't have flex installed. Again, from
configure:

        checking for flex... no
        checking for lex... no

But it still doesn't tell me that the absence of flex is problem.
One final grumble. If I install as a non-root user (which I always
do, unless there's a specific reason to do otherwise), I get:

        if test x1 != x; then \
                /usr/bin/install -c -g mail -m 2755 inc
/local/opt/x86/linux/nmh-1.4/bin/$cmd; \
        else \
                /usr/bin/install -c                 inc
/local/opt/x86/linux/nmh-1.4/bin/$cmd; \
        fi
        /usr/bin/install: cannot change ownership of
`/local/opt/x86/linux/nmh-1.4/bin/inc': Operation not permitted
        make[1]: *** [install-scmds] Error 1
        make[1]: Leaving directory `/local/home/install/nmh-1.4/uip'
        make: *** [install] Error 1

We should probably be catching this and failing a bit more gracefully.
I'm not sure why inc needs to be setgid mail anyway, though, given
that mail files are owned by the user that's running inc, they should
surely always have permission to modify them anyway, right? Certainly
that's true on all of my machines. Not that I use inc, so it's somewhat
irrelevant to me. But if inc does need the setgid bit set, then surely
shouldn't rcvstore (which I do use) also need it?

Tet