Re: [Nmh-workers] Locking - which to use?

2012-02-05 11:41:00

On 2012-02-05, at 8:49 AM, David Levine wrote:

Or to really
play it safe, have configure determine which are available
and use them all?

At the same time? Sounds like a recipe for deadlock to me. And it won't work
correctly, if at all, on platforms that implement one or more of
fcntl/flock/lockf as wrappers around one of the others (e.g. Solaris).

configure should be able to set this on a per-platform basis.

As for internal locking, it's a toss-up between flock and lockf. To me the tie
breaker is which of the two gets along best with network mounted filesystems
these days (and think AFP and CIFS in addition to NFS).

And forget about fcntl — the semantics are too broken for consideration. If
neither of flock/lockf are available, we can fall back to dot locking.

--lyndon