Re: [Nmh-workers] Implementation question: function or component for local mailbox?

2012-02-14 11:42:49
ken wrote:
As previously discussed, I've been looking at putting the "From" address
in message draft via extensions to the format language (the existing
syntax doesn't have that ability).

can you expand on that?  what is it that can't be done?

I see two possibilities as to how to implement this:

- A new function, e.g. %(localmbox).

can't this be done now, with something like "%(profile Local-Mailbox)"?
(or similar -- my mh-format skilz are sketchy at best.)

paul

- A new pseudo-component, e.g. %{localmbox}.

In terms of implementation ... they are probably a wash.  The first
requires a new format instruction; the second does not, but it does
require some stuff in the interpreter side, and that actually is a
little bit magical as components you are interested in are "seeded"
before you call fmt_scan() (this is why some programs use a special
"text" component); obviously this one would be handled internally.

The advantage to doing it as a component would be you could use address
functions like %(proper) on it (but I don't know how common that is).
The disadvantage is that you could never have a "real" message component
called "localmbox"; I don't know how common that would be either.

Thoughts?  I've gone back and forth on this and I don't really know
which would be better.