Re: [Nmh-workers] Are we ready for 1.5?

2012-03-14 21:17:54
On 3/15/2012 1:31 AM, Ken Hornstein wrote:
So I guess what I'm asking is ... does anyone else think that there is
something that should be in 1.5?  Note that these suggestions should either
be a) simple or b) come with an offer to write the code :-).  I know
Paul Vixie wants to kill m_getfld() and I can't really blame him, but
I don't think that's going to happen for this release unless Lyndon has
a private branch that he hasn't told us about :-)

to be fair, i was more tempted to replace it with different code having
the same API, but in the end, software engineering discipline won out:
it's working and there's no good reason to screw around with it until
we've got a radically different API in mind. so, don't hold 1.5 up for
m_getfld.

If there is nothing else, I am thinking of starting the 1.5 release cycle
in week or so.  At that point I'll start putting release candidates up
on savannah, so if you've been holding off trying out the new stuff
because you didn't want to mess with git or you were concerned that
nmh was moving too fast, that would be the time to give it a go!

may i suggest a fairly long "rc" period, during which we make sure there
are freebsd-ports, pkg-src, rpm, deb, and so on packages made even for
the "rc"'s so that testing can be more wide spread than "those of us who
are still willing to build from a tarball". i think 1.4's quality
suffered a little bit from that sea change.

paul