Re: [Nmh-workers] Portability issues in nmh 1.5-RC2

2012-05-07 22:23:26
Tom wrote:

Ralph Corderoy <ralph(_at_)inputplus(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> writes:
Hi David,
Tom wrote:
Another problem I ran into is that the regression test scripts use
some shell features that the bare-bones /bin/sh on this machine
doesn't recognize.

I would be interested to know what shell incompatibilities you ran
into so we could fix them.  I tested with heirloom-sh but that
apparently wasn't good enough.

You could try dash(1) but perhaps it's HP's sh not being POSIX enough
as opposed to nmh using non-POSIX features.

I had tried dash first.  It caught a few things but not as much
as heirloom-sh.

Hmm, I dunno.  The symptom I saw was that about half of the regression
tests reported "FAIL: test-name" without any other output whatsoever.
After I switched the shell to use /bin/ksh (Korn shell) they worked.
If anyone's got an idea how to debug such failures, I'm game to look
into it ... but I'm not really sure it's worth your time.  An easy way
to override the shell selection seems like a good idea in any case,
and I'm perfectly happy if that's all you do.

If you want to send me the output from a few of those failures
run with /bin/sh -x <test>, I'll take a quick look.

Thank you for your patch and the idea of adding the hook to
override the shell selection.  Both are in for the 1.5 release.

David