Re: [Nmh-workers] Quiting mhshow(1) Early Doesn't Set Current Message.

2012-05-21 12:04:37
Ralph wrote:

On an old nmh, so apologies if it's already fixed, doing `mhshow 42'
where 42 isn't the current message and then getting bored with the
needless emailed images and entering `q' at the `press to show
content' prompt seems to fail to make 42 the current message, as
show(1) would, even though $? is 0.  A follow-up `rmm' doesn't
delete the intended email.

It has not been fixed.  I think that it should be, but
post-1.5 because it will change behavior.

show(1) doesn't quite do the right thing either.  Quitting
before the last message of many has a different but equally
disturbing effect:  the current message is set to the last
selected message, even though it was never shown.

Does anyone disagree that we want this behavior instead, from
the show(1) man page, for both mhshow and show?

  The last message shown will become the current message.

And just to note that the other commands that set the current
message and can take multiple messages behave differently.
Some set the first message of many to the current message,
while others set the last.  I don't think that we want to
change them at this point, but here's a summary for info:

  anno, forw:
    The first message annotated/forwarded will become the
    current message.

  mhlist, mhstore, packf:
    The last message selected will become the current message.

David