Re: [Nmh-workers] mhstore -clobber

2012-09-16 14:37:57
Paul wrote:

On 2012-09-16 4:50 PM, David Levine wrote:
Lyndon wrote:

On 2012-09-16, at 8:42 AM, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:

Well, there's the obvious race condition ...
Sorry, I left out the "NFS" in front of "race."
What's the NFS race condition?  If you're talking about
old NFS that doesn't support O_EXCL, I'm not willing to
jump through hoops for that.

i don't think it requires nfs in order for it to be a race. granted,
this code cannot lose a race against itself if coded as open, close,
fopen, since the file name will be stable and the open uses creat|excl.
however, some other app could sneak in and get the file opened between
the close and the fopen, which smells like a security problem. far
better to do open, fdopen. (i'm thinking now of two of "crontab"'s early
CERT advisories.)

How is this more dangerous than fopen'ing for write any of my
existing files?

mhstore already has multiple open-closes on an output file
to support gluing together of message/partial's, how is that
different?

David