Re: [Nmh-workers] Interesting weirdness

2012-11-19 12:38:15
Guess that I've used -form forever and it's never caused problems until
now.  I'll use -file from now on.  Thanks.

Ok, I guess I was wrong earlier when I said -form was part of 1.5.
I had forgotten that it HAS been around forever.

When I added mh-format support to comp and others, those programs already
had a -form switch; I repurposed it so it would be used as the switch
for the mh-format template file (like repl did).

I guess my thinking was: "this is the switch for a template to compose a
new message".  I never thought that people would be using it to restart
a previously-composed message.  And I understand what you're saying about
stopping at the end of the message headers, but there are two problems
with that: the format module doesn't really know anything about a message
syntax; it just sees the whole thing as a big string, and we've had people
ask about creating custom signatures using format instructions (e.g., doing
things with %(getenv).

I suspect this is more information than you wanted to know, but
hope this explains exactly how we got here.