Re: [Nmh-workers] Syntax for choosing content transfer encoding

2013-03-02 07:59:31
Hi Ken,

So the mhbuild syntax is a bit weird.  The way it looks like now is:

#type/subtype \
      ;mime-attribute1=foo;mime-attribute2=bar \
      (Comment which is essentially ignored) \
      <Content-ID header> \
      [Content-Description header] \
      {Content-Disposition header} \
      filename

There are a few other variations, but that's the basics.

`*8bit' wouldn't look to the future.  How about `field:value' as I don't
think it can be mistaken for any of the existing syntax?  It could also
occur more than once if future needs arise.  `cte:8bit'.

In general, it would be nice if nmh chose the `best', allowing me to
override it.  I'd favour 8bit if the text doesn't violate it, then
quoted-printable, then, if that was too noisy or bloated, base64.  This
would avoid me having to observe nmh complain 8bit wasn't possible and
manually downgrade to QP.

Cheers, Ralph.