Re: [Nmh-workers] Relative Message Numbers

2013-03-28 14:34:01
Hi Norm,

If foobar is a message sequence then something like forbar+3, for the
third message of foobar, would make my life a bit easier.

Even better, would be to allow forbar+3,4 and foobar forbar+3-5. Then,
recursively, and perhaps a bit fancifully, since forbar+3-5 is a
message sequence, forbar+3-5+2 would be meaningful. If foobar has had
a least four messages it would denote the fourth messages of foobar.

It wouldn't be too hard to have something personal that you use with
backticks or $().  A nicer version of

    $ M() { local s=${1?} && shift && pick -list $s | sed -n "$*"; }
    $ pick last:10
    10 hits
    $ M lp p
    6646
    6676
    6677
    6910
    6911
    6912
    6913
    6928
    6929
    6931
    $ M lp '1p; 3p; $p'
    6646
    6677
    6931
    $ M lp '7,$d; p'
    6646
    6676
    6677
    6910
    6911
    6912
    $

(`lp' is the sequence I have pick(1) set by default.)

Cheers, Ralph.