Re: [Nmh-workers] charset conversion for windows-1252

2013-10-27 13:18:57
Does mhshow-charset-windows-1252 not work in nmh 1.5? I noticed that
one of Lyndon's messages in the IMAP thread was windows-1252 encoded
and contained some en dashes, which are in the part of the encoding
space which isn't UTF-8 compatible.

So, you're not crazy.  It doesn't actually work!  For me it definitely
doesn't work in 1.5, but it does work on master.  Oliver Kiddle applied
a patch from Yozo TODA post-1.5:

commit b5f46f4ba364af010a7ef5afb20b667fcbe9b136
Author: Oliver Kiddle <okiddle(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
Date:   Tue Nov 20 00:47:24 2012 +0100

    Yozo TODA: fix for mhshow-charset- directives in .mh_profile being broken

I had to do a reverse-bisect to find this commit, which was kind of
interesting (git bisect only works to find something that WAS working
but is now broken; you have to use git porcelain commands to do the
reverse).  I'm kinda surprised it works for Ralph, unless he's actually
running something from the git tree.  Before it would only work for
"known" charsets.

More generally: Is there any way to set a default charset handler?

No.  And yes, it's something we need fixed.  One of the things on my plate
for 1.6.