[Nmh-workers] RFC 5322 group support

2013-12-02 20:05:24
So I've been wading in the waters of the nmh address encoding routines as
part of the RFC 2047 encoding work, and I've come across something that
is puzzling me.

For those of you that don't spend too much time looking at RFC 822/2822/5322,
email headers have what is known as "group" support.  Specifically, you
can do something like this:

To: groupname: a, b, c;

Now the RFCs are a bit vague on what this means.  RFC 5322, Section 3.4 says
in part:

   When it is desirable to treat several mailboxes as a single unit
   (i.e., in a distribution list), the group construct can be used.  The
   group construct allows the sender to indicate a named group of
   recipients.

Ok, fine.  I've never seen a MUA actually treat those as a single unit,
and I don't even know what that would mean from a MUA's perspective.  But
the paragraph goes on to say:

   When it is desirable to treat several mailboxes as a single unit
   (i.e., in a distribution list), the group construct can be used.  The
   group construct allows the sender to indicate a named group of
   recipients.

This is probably what people are familiar with, e.g.:

To: undisclosed recipients:;

The way nmh deals with this is to handle the second case.  Specifically,
if you provide something like this: