Re: [Nmh-workers] Slowdown with a Populated Folder.

2014-01-01 14:43:02
It would be nice if that could be

   mark -newswitch -seq lpsave -zero -add lp
   # ...
   mark -newswitch -seq lp -zero -add lpsave

where an unknown sequence being added is treated as empty.  We already
have, as you've shown, the ability to "create" an empty sequence that
doesn't get saved.

Thinking more about it ... I realize that it's more of a change than
is originally obvious.

In the first example, "lp" isn't a sequence ... it's a list of messages
that HAPPENS to be a sequence.  In all MH commands, trying to reference
a message that doesn't exist is treated as an error (except in very few
special cases).  I think changing this (even just for mark) has more
wide-reaching consequences than you realize.  I'm not saying it can't
be done properly, it's just that some careful thought is required.