Re: [Nmh-workers] Renaming Nmh-Attachment to Attach

2014-01-07 00:00:10
Ken Hornstein writes:
I don't understand why making it configurable is such an issue; the code to
get things out of the profile is pretty straightforward.

Sigh.  It's just MORE CODE.  Also ... it would be nice to document
"Attach" as the header, rather than "It's Attach, unless you add this
flag".  Also, I was planning on changing the argv[0] vector for mhbuild
when run automatically, so you could have different profile entries for
that usage case ... I cannot just imagine any reason why this is a useful
knob to have.  If someone can make that case, please do so, and "it might
break something for someone, somewhere" isn't a good enough reason for me.

BTW, what stands out to me as the problem in your points above is the ability
for users to manually run mhbuild.  A lot of the grumbling about the original
attach code was about it not being as configurable as mhbuild, and it seems
like changes are in the works to fix this.  So my take is to fix it good and
hide mhbuild in some dark corner.  Oh, and make sure that Norm knows where to
find it :)

One thing Ralph mentioned that he didn't like about attach was that he
couldn't see what the MIME output was.  This will fix that.  I'm not saying
mhbuild is the right long-term solution, but MIME composition is a bit
of a tough problem ... and it will require some thought and a lot of code.

--Ken

Hey, as I said, you're doing the work and it's OK with me.  I'm just trying to
remember the thinking behind what I did originally in case any of it is still
relevant.

I would make the pompous claim that nobody would need to see the MIME output
if attachments just worked right.  So there!

Jon