[Nmh-workers] Maildir/MH advantages

2014-02-20 00:29:06
Hi

I was wondering, what are the (supposed) advantages of maildir over MH? All I could find is that its filenames are unique and contain metadata, so that file locking is not needed. Apart from that, are there any substantial benefits? Personally I like simple things, so simple numbered filenames, like those used by MH, are more attractive to me, but I guess that having unique filenames may give real advantages too. Incidentally, they claim that maildir is the most robust email storage system available, as it prevents corruption. This sounds quite appealing. And they too stick to the one-file-per-email rule, in plaintext.

Also, does MH have any significant advantages over maildir?

Thanks

--Otto