Re: [Nmh-workers] Request for new command: addresses

2014-06-02 08:23:38
Hi,

Paul wrote:
i'm not convinced that piping "yes n" to a clearly interactive command
turns it into a "scriptable interface".  it's more akin to screen
scraping.  there's no particular reason for "Reply to address?" to
change any time soon, but also no reason for us to promise that it
won't.  if the feature is important enough to lock down the UI, then
it's probably enough to do correctly.

I agree.  Also, I've noticed a problem with the sed command as given,

    s/\<Reply to ([^?]+)\? /\1\n/g

since addresses can contain question marks, e.g.
=?utf-8?Q?Go=20Newsletter?= <matt(_at_)golangweekly(_dot_)com>

repl(1) gaining a -listaddr might seem easiest.

It seems to me that a suitable mh-format(5) file for repl's -form could
get close to listing just the addresses from the various fields.  Or an
mhl(1) file for repl's -filter.  I'm hoping a narrow width, e.g. 1,
would cause one address per line.  And the addresses could be decoded.
Come to that, ditch repl.  If mh-format's language isn't quite up to it
then it suggests it still needs to evolve until it has that embedded
LISP interpreter.  :-)

Another solution would be a canonical mail-export format made for easy
parsing, e.g. directory structure with headers in a text file, UTF-8
throughout, no encoding, no line-length limitation, one address per
line, ...

Cheers, Ralph.