Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh 1.6 -- proper comment char in .mh_profile?

2014-07-10 17:05:42

On 10 Jul 2014, at 10:17, Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:

The same parser that reads email messages (m_getfld()) also reads the
profile (also, it does sequence files).  So to truely handle comments
would require changes to m_getfld(), which nobody is itching to do.
In theory we could simply ignore fields which begin with a '#' and not
put them in the profile structure; that might be worth doing.  But that
would still not permit '#' as a generic comment character; you'd still
need to have a colon in there.  It's one of those old MH things that
isn't wonderful, but none of the fixes are easy.

I knew the second half, but not the first half. Thank you for taking
the time to educate me, and for all your work on nmh.

~Chad