Re: [Nmh-workers] Applying alias file , to Reply-To: and From: components of a draft

2014-11-13 12:35:05
Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> writes:
Is there a way, or does somebody have a script, to apply an alias file,
(given by the "Aliasfile:" entry of .mh_profile) to the Reply-To: and From:
components of a draft ?

Depending on what you're asking ... it's either "maybe", or "definitely
not".

Alias processing happens relatively late in post; that's pretty much the only
place where it's done (other than the "ali" command).  Alias processing
ONLY takes place if there's no hostname in the address.  But ... if those
conditions are met, it should happen for all headers that contain email
addresses.  So if your goal is to have a draft like this:

From: outgoing
To: somebody

And an alias file that has:

outgoing: Mr Foo Bar <foo(_at_)bar(_dot_)com>
somewhere: Send It Here <here(_at_)bar(_dot_)com>

Did you deduce that from the source, or from the documentation?
The only documentation I can find, is the man page for mh-alias.

It says:

   1)     Build a list of all addresses from the message to be delivered...

But what what is an "address from the message to be delivered". Certainly it
excludes strings not in a header. So, does it know what headers to look at? If
so, what are those headers. If not, then what does it do? This is probably all
obvious to you. but it's not obvious to me.

    Norman Shapiro