Re: [Nmh-workers] smtp submission, tls, sasl, ...

2014-11-20 22:04:48
lyndon wrote:

On Nov 20, 2014, at 6:01 PM, Paul Fox
<pgf(_at_)foxharp(_dot_)boston(_dot_)ma(_dot_)us> wrote:

right.  reporting the error precisely is hard.  but given that we're
changing the default client behavior, adding a hint to the message
might be appropriate:
post: problem initializing server on port 587; [BHST] no servers available
post: try -snoop, or check server and port configuration (see mh-tailor(1))

The diagnostics suck and need to be fixed.  In their defence, the
':587' on the end of the address is a hint.

that doesn't appear unless -snoop is used.  and you know, i actually
looked at the post man page for a -debug, or a -verbose.  for some
reason i never thought to look for -snoop, which of course is on the
send manpage anyway.  sigh.

Meanwhile, I am hacking TLS support into inc's POP code, and it's
quickly becoming apparent the assorted bits of network-related code
need to be consolidated.  This gives a good opportunity to clean up
the server-contact configs, auth/security info, etc.  Given the
IETF's recent enlightenment over security, this is a great chance
to overhaul the code and actually leap *ahead* of the world on
something :-)

whoa.  i'll believe it when i see it.  :-)