Re: [Nmh-workers] Back to Dates

2015-01-01 10:07:54
I would like to suggest that mhl, show, mhshow, scan and any other mhl program
that displays a message, all have a flag, that would take an argument
specifying how the time of the message was to be displayed. It would specify
one of:

I don't have a problem with that in theory, but practical matters raises
their ugly heads.

First, we have a lot of command-line switches.  That's kind of
unavoidable with individual commands.  But adding more to the mix might
not be the right approach.

Second, we already have an extension mechanism that can do all of
that: mh-format(5).  Okay, I'll be the first to admit that mh-format
is terrible from a user perspective.  But that suggests to me that we
should write some well-commented examples and distribute them, so users
can easily pick which one they should use (for show/mhshow, it would be
mhl files; for scan, it would be a scan format).  We might need to add
some extra mh-format(5) instructions to make this easier.

The thing that I wonder about is, not everyone might know to look in
$(mhdir)/etc for those examples.  So a suggestion on where we should point
users to our examples would be welcome.