Re: [Nmh-workers] semantics of mhshow -type and -part

2015-01-31 13:12:16
    Date:        Sat, 31 Jan 2015 10:57:58 -0500
    From:        Paul Fox <pgf(_at_)foxharp(_dot_)boston(_dot_)ma(_dot_)us>

  | okay.  we're agreed that multiple -part options should override
  | "alternative".  it wasn't at all clear to me that an
  | underspecified -type (i.e., "-type text") shouldn't do the same, but i
  | understand your reasoning.

FWIW I agree with David & Ralph on that.

  | what should "mhshow -type text/enriched -type text/plain" do?  mh
  | currently just shows one of them.  again, i feel it should show both,
  | but again, your (and ralph's) reasoning presumably says no.

But if it (the reasoning, or they) did (which I kind of doubt) I would
disagree with that.

Treat multiple -type or -part switches almost as if they were
separate invocations of mhshow - if I ask for two types, I generally
want to get shown two parts (the difference from two separate mhshows
would be if both -types or a -type and -part (or even two -parts but
that is unlikely) happen to select the same element of the message.
In that case, show it just once.

To do anything more than that would require a much fancier specification
language - and I doubt there's either the demand, or a real need, for
that (if someone really wants to find a text part that follows an image
part, they can write a script to parse mhlist output, and then call
mhshow with the applicable -part option(s).)

kre