Re: [Nmh-workers] mhshow: unable to convert character set of...

2015-02-14 12:05:27
Thus said Ken Hornstein on Sat, 14 Feb 2015 10:11:57 -0500:

Character set  conversion happens in a  number of places; not  just in
message bodies  (which is  actually new  support in  nmh) but  also in
message headers (support has been around  for a while) and in extended
MIME parameters (new  in 1.6). Calling a filter for  those things just
seems rather crazy to me.

Fair point.  I hadn't  considered the  use of  UTF-8 in  headers, though
there definitely  is a lot  of use  of it. I  primarily use EXMH  but on
occasion do  use nmh  directly, and  normally I  just ignore  any quirky
looking characters  because the body is  normally not a problem  to deal
with (e.g. I can use filters if I need to adjust things).

The goal here  was to have nmh, out  of the box, be able  to deal with
emails that  come in with  non-native character sets. We're  closer to
that but not perfect yet.

Sounds like a  fine goal. Thank you for improving  it. Nothing will ever
be perfect, but it's great to strive for it. :-)

Andy
--
TAI64 timestamp: 4000000054df8e78