nmh-workers

Re: [Nmh-workers] Local submission queues

2016-02-21 20:39:10

On Feb 21, 2016, at 6:13 PM, Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com> wrote:

So it occurs to me you could MOSTLY do this right now without any changes
to nmh.

[...]

So, you could have your own postproc check the exit value of the 'real'
post(8) and if it fails, grab the outgoing message and hide in your
queue directory.  You'd also have it check for any messages in the queue
directory and try submitting those at the same time.  You don't need to
save any SMTP envelope metadata, because post(8) gets that out of the
message headers today.

I don't like the exception-based process model you describe.  Making submission
queueing the default - even for the single message case - greatly simplifies
the interface.

And having a single hook for this opens up a lot of flexibility for things I
can't even imagine right now, but know I will want to as the corporate monsters
and governments continue to restrict whom I am allowed to talk to, and how.
(Okay, maybe that's a bit hyperbolic.  Or not ...)

--lyndon