Re: [Nmh-workers] nmh's Temporary Directory: ~/mail.

2017-03-06 06:13:09
Lyndon wrote:

On Mar 5, 2017, at 7:26 PM, David Levine <levinedl(_at_)acm(_dot_)org>
wrote:

Not off hand.  It looks like $MHTMPDIR was introduced between MH 6.8.5
and the entry of nmh into CVS.  MH 6.8.5 hard-coded the use of /tmp/.

The thread beginning at
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2014-01/msg00043.html
has the most recent discussion.  But the introduction of ~/mail
(`mhpath +`, actually) was before that.

Personally, I set $TMP.

The UNIX convention since forever has been to set $TMPDIR, on the assumption
that mktemp() and friends are taking care of things.  I can't think of any
reason why MH should be special in this regard.  This sounds like a candidate
for more code removal.

Right, $TMP support was removed from nmh a while ago.  I mispoke, I should have
said that I set $TMPDIR to /tmp.

David