Re: [Nmh-workers] Nabbing /usr/bin Space.

2017-05-25 13:44:12
In the message dated: Thu, 25 May 2017 18:57:42 +0100,
The pithy ruminations from Ralph Corderoy on
<[Nmh-workers] Nabbing /usr/bin Space.> were:
=> Hi,
=>
=> It's the "nmh" project, used in URLs, mailing lists, etc., but MH is
=> still prevalent in command names, ~/.mh_profile, etc., which is fine.
=>
=> We've lots of user commands, and have created ones that seem to
=> potentially tread on others' toes a bit with their genericness, e.g.
=> new(1).  We've also got functionality to pension off like MMDF
=> mailboxes.  I was wondering if we should nab /usr/bin/mh whilst it's

Do you mean /usr/bin/mh as a sub-directory? That's verboten in the Linux
Filesystem Hierarchy Standard.

=> still available.  This lets us have sub-commands for the more obscure
=> tasks in the future, e.g. converting a mailbox from MMDF to something
=> else, without further polluting /usr/bin.

I'd think that "unpackf" (or "burstmmdf") might be better off in
/usr/libexec/nmh.

Or did you mean

        /usr/bin/mh
        /usr/bin/nmh

as executables? If so, I'd imagine that they'd function somewhat like svn:

        with no arguments, they bring up a high-level help/usage message,
        very similar to 'man nmh' (maybe even exec(man nmh))

        with arguments consisting of existing commands, they'd exec() the [n]mh
command:

                /usr/bin/nmh inc
                /usr/bin/nmh show -noshowproc last +inbox

Kind of training wheels for the teeming masses who are just starting to use
nmh. :)

=>
=> I say still available, that's based on a list of `*mh' files in Debian's
=> stable's packages.
=>
https://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=mh&mode=path&suite=stable&arch=any
=>
=> --
=> Cheers, Ralph.
=> https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy
=>
=>
--
Mark Bergman    Biker, Rock Climber, SCUBA Diver, Unix mechanic, IATSE #1
Stagehand

http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=bergman%40panix.com

I want a newsgroup with a infinite S/N ratio! Now taking CFV on:
rec.motorcycles.stagehands.pet-bird-owners.pinballers.unix-supporters
15+ So Far--Want to join? Check out: http://www.panix.com/~bergman