[Nmh-workers] OT: Arch Linux.

2017-08-01 05:40:23
Hi Bob,

I have a sufficiently non-standard install.  Specifically, I prefer to
use ctwm instead of any of the modern "desktops"

Arch Linux's install media leaves one at a VT with a shell.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide runs through the
next steps, Internet access, partitioning, installing the core packages,
and finishes with references to other wiki pages about common packages.
So you get to choose if X might be useful, what window manager, etc.
There are packages that just depend on lots of others so Gnomers can get
their fix easily.

I need to see what has changed since my last OS update, which usually
means figuring out the new way to do XYZ -- and that's what typically
causes this to balloon to days

With a rolling release, this tends to be a steady trickle of incremental
package upgrades, most don't bother me, and when one does other users
are in the same boat *now* so the solution is normally easy to find,
e.g. top thread on the forum, rather than digging about for something
from months ago when "testing" users first encountered it.

is it trivially easy to undo a package's upgrade?

As a rolling release, a package can assume your other packages are up to
date so there's not the "pinning" of one package at an old version
whilst the rest move on.  I think you can do it, but it's explicitly not
supported.

The repo has the current packages.  There's an
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Archive that has the previous ones,
and I used that once for the Nvidia problem that stopped graphics
working.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy