Re: [Nmh-workers] What OS/Architecture Do You Run nmh On?

2018-02-17 14:47:07
hold onto your hats because i'd also like to do this even for imap
mailboxes which are not present in my file system at all, and Maildir
mailboxes which are present but not in the format MH thinks they are.

OK.  I think past mentions of
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_in_Userspace have been rebutted
with non-portability.  That Wikipedia page now says `Linux, FreeBSD,
OpenBSD, NetBSD (as puffs), OpenSolaris, Minix 3, Android and macOS'.

Weeeellll ... I still think portability is a bigger concern than
you realize.  I've seen a number of people complain that porting a
FUSE layer from Linux to non-Linux can be challenging, because the
differences between the filesystem interface semantics means that the
FUSE layer behaves differently between operating systems.  It just seems
like a gigantic nightmare.  And the fact that a number of IMAP-via-FUSE
projects that have been started and abandoned suggests to me that
mapping an IMAP mailbox to a filesystem is actually a difficult problem;
presenting an filesystem interface that was an MH mailbox would even be a
HARDER problem.

If people want to attempt it, then please do so!  Don't let me stop
anyone; it's just not something I think is worthwhile for me to spend
my time on.

Nmh-workers