Re: [nmh-workers] Unnecessary dependency on vi???

2018-03-12 11:23:18
ralph wrote:
Hi Paul,

An aside: Does any package other than vim provide /usr/bin/vi?  I
think the command might be `dnf provides /usr/bin/vi'.  I expect
it's a bunch of different sized vim-based packages.

vile is another vi alternative, on all linux distributions, and at
least some of the XXXXbsd distros.

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/vile/blob/master/f/vile.spec provides
/usr/bin/vile.

i'd bet nvi is also available everywhere, though i haven't checked
that, since i don't use it.

Yes, I checked
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/nvi/blob/master/f/nvi.spec and it
provides /usr/bin/nvi, not .../vi.

i thought we were talking about (the fedora equivalent of)
/etc/alternatives, not installed pathname:

    $ update-alternatives --list vi
    /usr/bin/levee
    /usr/bin/nvi
    /usr/bin/vile
    /usr/bin/vim.basic
    /usr/bin/vim.tiny

(i've never tried levee -- i only just now installed it to make the list
longer. ;-)

surely the nmh package requirement isn't on a a specific provider of
{/usr}/bin/vi, is it?  i guess i would have never noticed, since vim
is always present before i install vile, and i never bother removing it.

paul

(I was unable to find a web-based equivalent of Debian's or Ubuntu's
package search for Fedora.)

ubuntu provides elvis, but i think it's more of a toy at this point.

Not at the above web site.  And there was Stevie, vim's ancestor.
That's not there either.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy