[nmh-workers] multipart/related and -prefer.

2018-07-31 08:50:37
Hi,

My .mh_profile has `mhshow: -prefer text/plain', but nothing for mhlist.
I recently read this `Apple Mail' email with mhshow, read the
plain/text, and it wasn't apparent to me there were images too.

    $ mhlist -nov
     msg part  type/subtype              size description
    32753       multipart/alternative    6185K
         1     multipart/related        6184K
         1.1   text/html                  721
         1.2   image/jpeg               2176K
         1.3   image/jpeg               2401K
         2     text/plain                 134
    $

My -prefer is re-ordering parts 1 and 2, as I can show with mhlist.

    $ mhlist -nov -prefer text/plain
     msg part  type/subtype              size description
    32753       multipart/alternative    6185K
         1     text/plain                 134
         2     multipart/related        6184K
         2.1   text/html                  721
         2.2   image/jpeg               2176K
         2.3   image/jpeg               2401K
    $

Typically, the text/plain and text/html are children of the same
multipart/alternative, but here Apple thinks text/plain means images
aren't required.  Perhaps revenge for my never having purchased an Apple
product.

I can select the text/html in this case with

    $ mhlist -nov -prefer text/plain -prefer multipart/related
     msg part  type/subtype              size description
    32753       multipart/alternative    6185K
         1     multipart/related        6184K
         1.1   text/html                  721
         1.2   image/jpeg               2176K
         1.3   image/jpeg               2401K
         2     text/plain                 134
    $

to specify my favourite last.  That shows me the text/html and I get the
one-line summaries of the JPEGs so I know they're there.

nmh doesn't mention multipart/related AFAICS, saying all unknown
multipart are treated as multipart/mixed.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to how we should show text/plain and
summarise the two JPEGs?

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy