Re: [nmh-workers] closefds() _before_ fork?

2019-04-23 16:18:05
Thus said Paul Vixie on Tue, 23 Apr 2019 05:59:05 -0700:

to that end,  i propose that we  treat any open descriptor  N>2 at the
time  of an  exec() to  be a  bug,  which is  to be  fixed by  setting
O_CLOEXEC at time of creation.

What impact will such a decision have on tools like setlock which open a
filedescriptor, obtain an  exclusive lock, and then exec  a process? For
example, I may  use something like the following in  a script to prevent
multiple processes from incorporating email:

setlock /tmp/mit.lock inc +MyIncTmp ...

Thanks,

Andy
--