Re: [nmh-workers] logging outgoing messages

2019-07-10 14:35:45

Back to logging outgoing messages.

A reason that people want to do this is so that they can track whether emails
get delivered or not.  Given spam, nobody reads postmaster bounces anymore.
(I remember when I got CC's of all bounces...)

So three things that I've wanted to implement for awhile (20 years..) are:
  1) processing of postmaster bounces, with a way to link back to anno
     so that the outgoing message can be marked.
     Yes, bounces come in all sorts of forms, but they always reference
     the message-id. At one point, I wanted to put something cryptographic
     in it, but essentially DKIM has done this for us.

  2) processing of Return-Receipt-To: messages to anno that the email
     got delivered.  Not a guarantee that they were read, but it
     does prove they got off your laptop. (whether you queue locally,
     because... airplanes, or deliver directly)

  3) processing of Disposition-Notification-To: which does not work
     in a lot of MUAs, but where it works, it works hilariously well.

Basically, I'm asking for TCP ACK at application layer.

I regularly re-edit emails in my outbox with mh-e, although there are issues
relating to GPG signatures and some other headers that mean I have to clean
stuff up before sending.

]     mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on
rails    [