Re: [nmh-workers] INCing of email archives

2019-07-26 12:05:38
Paul Fox wrote in <20190725113853.E9A0A5180A3B@grass.foxharp.boston.ma.us>:
 |bakul wrote:
 |> Once in a while I download email archives of some mailing list
 |> and unpack them using "inc -file <archive-file>". But more
 |> than once I have seen that inc gets confused and doesn't
 |> unpack the whole thing. The cause seems to be a line starting
 |> with From in some message body. Ideally inc should look that
 |> a "From ..." line is immediately followed by header lines.
 |> And if this is not the case, assume it is in the message body.
 |
 |I thought the trigger was "\n\nFrom: ", and that no more headers
 |were needed.

The trigger is "From ", but real POSIX requires at least one valid
header line to follow (then an empty line again), so with that
automatic MBOX detection can be heavily improved.  (Even my one
does this now like that, thanks for Dr. Fink of Suse.)  On top of
that RFC 4155 puts more constraints on the "From " / From_ line.

--steffen