[nmh-workers] inc: Unable to find a line terminator after 32768 bytes

2019-09-09 15:02:44
Hello,

This is the first time I've ever seen such an error from inc. In looking
at  the message  that is  causing the  problem, apparently  it's a  MIME
message that has a base64 encoded MIME body that is all on one line that
even sed has a hard time parsing:

$ time (cat bigmessage | sed -ne '62p' | wc)
       1       1 11370773
    1m08.62s real     0m15.01s user     0m23.09s system

This just  seems ridiculous.  I'm tempted  to modify  my SMTP  server to
reject such messages, but I'm curious to know if this is simply a bug in
the sending software or if something has changed?

Unfortunately, I  cannot share the  entire message,  but I'm not  sure I
need to.  It should  be easily  reproduced by  simply base64  encoding a
large file and  putting it all on  one line. Here are  the redacted MIME
headers:

------=_Part_8167195_1805258438.1568043535371

Is this something I should report to  the sender as a clear violation of
RFC5322,  which as  far as  I can  tell, restricts  line lengths  to 998
characters, or is there something special about MIME that supersedes the
limit and which means inc needs fixing?

Thanks,

Andy
--