Re: To: mail-alias-here ( my comment here )

2020-05-12 18:38:55
Tom wrote:

Seems that gmail strips off '( my comment here )' from the To: header
when it receives it. My receiving sendmail MTA does not strip it.

Ken already addessed the (non-)utility of the comment.  But just
to note that I don't think that gmail strips off the comment if
there is no display name.  It normally doesn't show it, but the
comment is visible via "Show original".  There, it moves the
comment to the display name and puts the address in angle
brackets.

Another way to see the comment is to retrieve the message using POP or
IMAP.  It's preserved, based on my quick tests.

If there is a display name, it does this in the retrieved message:

    To: Me (comment) <levinedl(_at_)acm(_dot_)org>

The comment is stripped from the "Show original" view, and of course
from the normal view.

I'm a little surprised that gmail bothers to preserve them at all.

David