Re: Synchronization Problem

2020-07-24 12:26:33
Hi Ken and Norm,

fetchmail runs off a deamon and deposits emails which are in fine
nmh format but do not have a numeric names. So I run this script:
[...]
But after the scan is complete and before I do the rmm, the script
might have put a new message in +inbox, which rmm would remove.

There aren't _wonderful_ solutions, because this is a higher-level
problem; other programs can change the state of your inbox between
commands.

refile(1) could do with an option to not alter the current folder or
current message.

Norm is setting MHCONTEXT for the refile(1) to a temporary copy so that
protects his main context file's ‘current-folder’ entry from
being modified, but a folder's .mh_sequences file's ‘cur’ entry is still
changed.  I suppose appending ‘mh-sequences: .mh-sequences.$$’ to the
new MHCONTEXT file would help because ‘cur’ would then be changed in
there?

Even if cur is protected, this script running in the background and
altering the contents of +inbox will have unwanted results with commands
like ‘rmm last:10’ so your main point is correct.

I have fetchmail run in the background, but the local mail-delivery
agent it hands them over to, Postfix, appends to the /var/$LOGNAME/mail
mbox-format file whence inc(1) picks them up when it's run manually
by me.  Often because bash(1) is checking for new mail as described
under ‘MAIL’, ‘MAILCHECK’, and ‘MAILPATH’.

--
Cheers, Ralph.