Re: smtp.gmail.com and nmh | post: problem initializing server; [BHST] TLS is not supported

2020-08-20 03:47:26
Hi Ken,

for our purposes TLS just does the session encryption (via STARTTLS or
what I call "initial TLS").

Post-SMTP and pre-SMTP?  Just as https-schema URLs are pre-HTTP.

I think I will work on writing an authentication-specific man page.

post(1) having Gmail in an EXAMPLES section would probably satisfy most
of those they turn up here asking.  Another man page would mean
something else they have to find whereas post(1) is probably something
they look at, sent there by send(1).

Its opening sentence,

    post is the default program called by send to deliver the message in
    file to local and remote users.

could keep them reading by including some of the rest of the paragraph
and mentioning Gmail, say

    post is the default program called by send to deliver the message in
    file to local and remote users,
    e.g. a local sendmail written to over a pipe,
    or an SMTP server like Postfix or Gmail.

They'd probably search for ‘Gmail’ and wind up in EXAMPLES.

--
Cheers, Ralph.