Re: scan without changing folder?

2021-04-27 03:47:41
Hi Ken,

Private sequences are stored in the context file so scan(1) won't find
them, e.g. ‘MHCONTEXT=/dev/null scan +foo bar’.

That is true!  Of course, I wonder how many people USE private
sequences, and why (I have the sneaking suspicion that you do, Ralph).
I think the original usage of "shared folder" (hence the naming of
"public" and "private") is basically non-existant now.

Shared folders are still useful, e.g. if there's an email address for
the household used by utility companies, etc., for billing, and that's
fetched to a single MH folder which is then accessed by multiple local
users.

Duplicating those emails to each local user would, as well as wasting
space given the stupidity of many email senders, e.g. 1200 PPI PNG for a
one-inch logo in the corner, then mean the users have to coordinate over
what's happening, ‘Have you dealt with it?  Can I delete my copy?’,
instead of using shared sequences and refiling.

Shared folders benefit from sequences that may be private. :-)

--
Cheers, Ralph.